How To Solve Video_TDR_Failure (atikmpag.sys)
In case you’re utilizing an AMD or ATI graphics card, and you’re facing a VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (atikmpag.sys) blue screen error issue, then don’t worry you’re not alone. Numerous Windows clients have revealed this disappointing error, and it’s conceivable to settle this issue.
About VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE Error:
TDR means that (Timeout, Detection, and Recovery) elements in Windows. It should be there to help stop BSODs by rebooting the GPU or potentially driver when there is a problem provoking an extensive deferral. A blue screen of death appears if this problem occurs too often consecutively.
You must have been logged into Windows on the PC in order to attempt any of the solutions for this issue. And switch on and off your system 3 times for a hard reboot and restart it in Safe Mode, in case you cause any trouble logging into Windows. And at that point try the below solutions to settle this issue.
So we have assembled 3 solutions you can attempt. You don’t have to attempt all of them. Just simply work your way down until the point when you locate the one which perfectly settles your issue.
Note: You may see atikmpag.sys rather than atikmdag.sys in the enclosure after VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE error, yet these two are not quite different from one another. The error codes would be nvlddmkm.sys and igdkmd64.sys, in case you are using NVIDIA or Intel graphics cards.
Solution 1: By Updating Display Card and Chipset Drivers
A VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (atikmpag.sys) blue screen will show up, in case that your PC does not reset the display driver and recuperate from a timeout. So for this issue to be settled down you just need to update your chipset and display card drive. You can do it manually and automatically:
Manual driver update:
To manually update your chipset and display card driver, head towards the PC manufacturer site and search for the latest right drivers for your system. And in case the VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (atikmpag.sys) error occurs on your laptop, you ought to go to the laptop manufacturer site.
Automatic driver update:
In the event that you don’t have much time or PC aptitudes for a manual update, you can simply do it consequently with Driver Easy. It will naturally perceive your operating system and locate the right drivers for your chipset and AMD video card. You don’t have to know precisely what operating system your PC is running or who are the manufacturers, you don’t have to hazard downloading the incorrect driver, and you don’t have to stress over committing any mistake while installing. You can do an automatic update for your drivers with whether the FREE or the Driver Easy PRO version. In any case, with the Driver Easy PRO version, there’s nothing more needed than 2 steps (and you get full help and a 30-day cash return warranty). Follow the below steps to automatically update your driver:
- First, you need to Download and then install the Driver Easy software into your PC.
- Then run Driver Easy and tap on the Scan Now button to examine your PC.
- To consequently download the right form of the driver, just tap on the Update button alongside your hailed AMD video card (or your chipset), this requires the FREE version).
- Or on the other hand tap on Update All to download and install the right form of all the drivers automatically, that are absent or obsolete on your operating system and this requires the PRO version.
Solution 2: By Re-installing Drivers in Safe Mode
Note: You should have the most recent Intel chipset driver and ATI/AMD graphics card driver version in your PC.
By Re-installing Drivers in Safe Mode you can easily omit this issue. Follow the below steps for the process:
- First, you need to go to the Safe Mode in your Windows 10.
- Then follow this path: Go to Device Manager> Expand Display adapters> Right-tap on AMD/ATI device> tap Uninstall.
- Then tap on OK.
- Restart your PC into the ordinary mode. At that point install the most recent variant of Intel chipset driver for your PC and restart your PC once more.
- Have a go at installing the most recent variant of the ATI/AMD driver on your PC once more.
Solution 3: Replace atikmpag.sys or atikmdag.sys file
On the off chance that you have attempted the above solutions yet the issue is still happening, you should supplant the file in atikmpag.sys or atikmdag.sy.
- First, get the most recent variant of ATI/AMD designs card driver. You can also get it with Driver Easy.
- Then pursue the path [C:\Windows\System32\drivers] and find the atikmdag.sys (or atikmpag.sys) document.
Then you just need to rename that file as atikmdag.sys.old (or atikmpag.sys.old).
Note: Make sure that you just alter the one showed on your blue screen error.
- Then go to ATI directory (normally in C:\ATI) and then discover the file atikmdag.sy_ or atikmpag.sy_.
- Just copy it to your desktop.
- On the off chance that you are having issue discovering it in this folder, simply enter its name into the search bar located in the Start panel.
- Next, tap the Windows logo key located on your keyboard and type cmd and tap Command Prompt.
- To change the directory to your Desktop, just type chdir desktop and tap Enter key.
- Next, you need to type expand.exe atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys and tap Enter key.
- Or on the other hand, type in expand -r atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys and tap Enter key.
- At the point when the extension is finished, just copy the new atikmdag.sys file from your Desktop to this path [C:\Windows\System32\Driver].
- Lastly, just restart your PC and the issue ought to be settled.